Help Centre

Help Informations

What kind of help do you need?

illustration of a telephone

Need Urgent Help or Support?

If you are very distressed, including experiencing despair, seek help now. Could you call a family member, a friend or a neighbour? If not, there are plenty of other options:

If you need urgent medical or mental health help
In the first instance, call your GP. They will know where to get you the specialist help you need. If your GP is closed, their answerphone will direct you to the right place or you can call NHS 111. Use 111 if you urgently need medical help or advice but it is not a life-threatening situation.

For life-threatening situations, call 999 or contact University security if you are in a University facility on 666 from a landline or 01225 383999 from a mobile. 

If you need to talk

To talk to someone about how you feel, what you’re experiencing or how to deal with someone else's behaviour, you can contact one of these:

University of Bath Wellbeing team
Our Wellbeing Service offers help and advice to all students on welfare and wellbeing issues. You can contact our Wellbeing Advisers by phone on 01225 383838 or come to one of the daily drop-in sessions.

The Samaritans offer a 24-hour telephone helpline. Call on: 116 123 You can also contact them via email.

Nightline is a student-run service offering listening, support and practical information at the University. It opens every night from 8pm to 8am during term times. You can find their number on the back of your library card or email a member of the team on